[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Jordan T." <jordan at blue dash ferret dot com dot au>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Routing a seperate subnet over WAN to LAN
 Date:  Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:55:51 -0500
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:50:06 +0800, Jordan T. <jordan at blue dash ferret dot com dot au> wrote:
> From exec.php, you could issue "/sbin/ifconfig <int> <address> netmask
> <netmask> alias" but im not sure that it would route the whole subnet as
> i want. You can even throw this in the config to come up at boot by
> using <shellcmd>/sbin/ifconfig bge0 X.X.X.X netmask 255.255.255.X
> alias</shellcmd> inside the <system> block. an example in my case would
> be "ifconfig vr0 X.X.165.53 netmask 255.255.255.252 alias", im hoping it
> will add a route for the rest of the subnet too, and enable routing of
> other IP's through to the LAN.

You'd either have to use an additional interface or a VLAN.  You could
put in the ifconfig alias but that's not recommended and not
supported.  I'm not sure how or if outbound NAT would behave with
that.  You'll definitely need advanced outbound NAT if you're going to
try that.

Additionally, your ISP will need a route to that .165.53/30 net
pointing to your m0n0wall WAN IP.  My guess is that's not the way it's
setup, and they might not be willing to do so.  They're probably
expecting both networks to be on the WAN side, in which case you'd
need two firewalls.

Are they actually assigning you a /30 subnet, or those usable IP's
within a bigger subnet?  i.e. if you were putting a system directly on
the internet with one of those IP's, what would it use as a default
gateway?  Would you need a router on that subnet to use them?

-Chris