[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Claude Morin <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 To:  Adrian Padilla <selage at sbcglobal dot net>
 Cc:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can not see network any more
 Date:  Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:41:29 -0500
[It's late, so I may be forgetting something.  Can anyone confirm or
refute this response?]

I imagine you don't have an active directory server, a domain
controller, or a WINS server, correct?

If that's your setup, the network neighbourhood and SMB file sharing
functionality you're looking for requires an MS "browse master" for
name lookup functionality.

The problem is that -- as far as I know -- the browse master
functionality requires IP broadcasts, which are *not* passed between
m0n0wall interfaces (for good reason; see the m0n0wall mailing list).

Your options:
        - Running an active directory server or domain controller is
probably ridiculous in your setup (though you could do it cheaply with
Samba if you have a UNIX box handy).
        - Assuming you have an MS Windows server on one of the
internal networks, you could spin up a WINS server on that server, and
point all clients to it via the LMHOSTS file.  WINS...ugh.
        - simplest, but not sure it'll work: populate the LMHOSTS or
HOSTS file on all machines, with the IPs and names of all machines.

For more detail, see
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/43166/43166.html.  MS
has an on-line training video (can't find the URL or name; sorry) that
goes into the painful details of MS Windows name resolution for each
version of their OS.  Make yourself some coffee and grab the comfy
chair; IIRC it goes on for over an hour.

Claude

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:46:51 -0500, Adrian Padilla <selage at sbcglobal dot net> wrote:
> well in windows i can not see the computers in the neighborhood network, nor
> can i connect to them by ther computer name, such as
>
> \\selage\c
> \\printmaster\f
>
> so on and so forth

Claude