[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Claude Morin <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 To:  Adrian Padilla <selage at sbcglobal dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can not see network any more
 Date:  Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:13:58 -0500
OK, so you have two options:
        - populate the LMHOSTS or HOSTS file on all MS Windows
machines, with the IPs and names of all machines.  You should probably
test this on one machine first, because it's been a long time since
I've tried this and can't guarantee it'll work.  This is easiest to
set up initially, but hardest to maintain; you must to copy changed
the LMHOSTS or HOSTS file to all clients whenever an IP changes, is
added, or deleted.
        - configure & run Samba on one of your Linux boxes, to be a
domain controller for your MS Windows boxes.  Then you just point all
your clients at the domain controller (via the LMHOSTS file), and
they'll get their name resolution from there.  This is the hardest to
set up initially but easiest to maintain.  I mentioned this for
completeness; you should probably avoid this just to get MS name
resolution.  If you're a masochist :-), here's some help to get you
going:
                IBM has a tutorial at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/eserver/tutorials/samba.html
that should help you go a long way to implementing this solution.
                The Samba project's documentation:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html

I'm curious to know what you end up trying, and how you fare.
Claude