[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Greg Smith" <gsmith59 at pacbell dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Workgroups in VPN connection
 Date:  Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:51:56 -0800
Piotr,

I recommend to just use fixed IP addresses at each end with m0n0wall
DHCP, and then put those fixed IP addresses into m0n0wall's DNS list.
e.g.
MyOfficeDesktop.radom.net 10.0.0.3
MyOfficeServer.radom.net 10.0.0.2
MyHomeMachine.radom.net 10.0.1.2

Win2K should resolve machine names using DNS.  You can just access
\\MyOfficeDesktop\share1 without any special typing, just
double-clicking, once you have a shortcut on your desktop (or
wherever).

I do this with 3 m0n0walls and a triangular VPN, from WinXP laptop
clients that could be on any of the 3 LANs to WinXP, Win2003SBS,
HPJetDirect, SnapServer etc resources which reside semi-permanently on
one of the LANs.

Greg