[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Claude Morin <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 To:  Chris Olive <chris at technologease dot com>
 Cc:  Adrian Padilla <selage at sbcglobal dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can not see network any more
 Date:  Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:37:07 -0500
Of *course* it's a bad idea to use anything but low-level protocols to
confirm connectivity.  But if you read the first three messages in
this thread, you'll see that Adrian has connectivity between the local
networks.  The problem is that SMB-based browsing isn't working;
that's the question I answered.

Hmmm...just took a closer look at Adrian's question & first response.
You're right; it's not clear that he has IP connectivity.  I jumped
the gun; mea culpa.

Adrian: ignore everything I said until you confirm that you have
connectivity between the computers on your internal networks.  Easiest
is "ping", assuming you're not blocking it on the PC you're trying to
reach.  You should ping by IP address first; when this works, you have
IP connectivity between the nodes.  Then, try to ping by name; when
this works, you have DNS name resolution working properly.

There's another thread on this mailing list that confirms that
popluating your client PCs' hosts files will work for SMB-based
browsing, on Windows 2000 and newer machines.

-klode