[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John ." <jvoigt at gmail dot com>
 To:  melvin at sleepydragon dot net
 Cc:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>, Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Half second "feature" is also in DHCP server
 Date:  Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:12:18 -0500
> days after receiving an IP, it should still be valid and available up
> until the expiration specified.  It sounds like in the current
> implementation that IP address would be flagged as stale and subject for
> recovery after only 3.5 days instead.  If I've misunderstood what's
> actually happening then my apologies, but it certainly sounds like it's
> broken.

If monowall gives you a lease for 7 days, unless you reboot the
firewall your IP will not expire until the 7 days are up.  The client
simply renews it's lease long before it's set to expire.  Nothing is
broken other than some folks understanding of what's happening.

Monowall doesn't save leases across a boot.  Besides, if a machine is
down for 5 days I'm not sure why it would need the same dynamic
address it had before.  If it does for some reason then it should have
a static assigned to it's MAC.

The big question is: what problem is this (correct) dhcp behavior
causing?  If you really need your client to only ask for a new address
every 7 days then you should set the lease time to 14 days.