[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Lewis" <john at bea dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Mono vs ESX GSX
 Date:  Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:30:34 +0800
Stumbled across Mono, and it looks good.

But basically I am wondering about GSX and ESX servers.

i.e.
Mono appears to be a small price to pay to route traffic to my VM's, as
it appears I get a central firewall and VPN etc for all VM's. Nuff said.

And appears I could install VM Workstation or VM GSX.

(As a guess the difference between WStation and GSX is GSX allows you to
allocate two (or more) external IP's to internal VM's and two (or more)
port 80's open at the same time ???)

But is there a clever way to use ESX or is Mono doing the ESX thing ?
Could using ESX, somewhere in the scenario, be of advantage in any way
for someone only using one HDD ?

i.e. if Mono and subsequent VM's were all in one compartment of ESX,
what is this doing ?
Perhaps this would allow me to place a web server unprotected and so I
could watch hacking attempts from my secure server ????

Thanks