[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  German dot Martin at RSES dot rohde dash schwarz dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Mono vs ESX GSX
 Date:  Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:58:49 +0100
I use m0n0 inside an ESX server. It has been running fine during 6 months.
The only problem is the huge requeriments ESX needs (see VMWare web).

But one problem has rised with new updates of m0n0. ESX does not support
BSD 5 so I've been not able to update since 1.2 beta 5. Anyway as it works
well for me it's ok.

I think that GSX and WS do support FreeBSD 5 so you car run m0n0 over it.

Regards

                      "John Lewis"

                      <john at bea dot com dot au>        To:       <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>

                                               cc:

                      21/03/2005 09:30         Subject:  [m0n0wall] Mono vs ESX GSX

Stumbled across Mono, and it looks good.

But basically I am wondering about GSX and ESX servers.

i.e.
Mono appears to be a small price to pay to route traffic to my VM's, as
it appears I get a central firewall and VPN etc for all VM's. Nuff said.

And appears I could install VM Workstation or VM GSX.

(As a guess the difference between WStation and GSX is GSX allows you to
allocate two (or more) external IP's to internal VM's and two (or more)
port 80's open at the same time ???)

But is there a clever way to use ESX or is Mono doing the ESX thing ?
Could using ESX, somewhere in the scenario, be of advantage in any way
for someone only using one HDD ?

i.e. if Mono and subsequent VM's were all in one compartment of ESX,
what is this doing ?
Perhaps this would allow me to place a web server unprotected and so I
could watch hacking attempts from my secure server ????

Thanks