[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Is this nic supported?
 Date:  Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:06:44 -0500
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:45:33 -0800 (PST), Max Khitrov <maximkh at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> Quick question - I finally got my Dell SC420 server for monowall (which
> works great btw, if anyone is interested), and right now I'm once again
> looking at getting a PCI Express 1x gigabit network card.
>
> The only one I found for a reasonable price is this one here:
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10364628&loc=101&spf=1&sp=1
>
> The only concern I have is if it is supported by the latest monowall
> (FreeBSD 5.3). Some of the sites I found say it is, others say it is
> but only with 3rd party drivers, and others say nothing about FreeBSD.
> Anyone care to try and figure out if this will work with monowall or
> not?

Doesn't look promising.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-October/005309.html

From some Googling, looks like your best bet would be a Broadcom
5751GB.  I believe that's the same chipset as the onboard NIC on the
SC420, though I didn't check the specs on Dell's site to verify.  It's
a little more pricey, but if your onboard is working, it should as
well.

-Chris