[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi at oav dot net>
 To:  "John Lewis" <john at bea dot com dot au>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Mono vs ESX GSX
 Date:  Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:21:13 +0100
Hello,

I have worked a lot about M0n0 and ESX... (not tested yet GSX...) but
you will
be able to run only version <= 1.2beta5 because VMware ESX don't support
freeBSD 5.3 (or 5.4...).

I have asked them when they will support it, they said : "there is no
plans
at all to support freebsd 5.x"...

;(

Bad news. So my project is now dead... thanks VMware...

(I was seriously thinking of using Xen instead, but freebsd/xen is for
now
moslty unsupported and more or less unstable.... ;()...

/Xavier

> Stumbled across Mono, and it looks good.
>
> But basically I am wondering about GSX and ESX servers.
>
> i.e.
> Mono appears to be a small price to pay to route traffic to my VM's, as
> it appears I get a central firewall and VPN etc for all VM's. Nuff
> said.
>
> And appears I could install VM Workstation or VM GSX.
>
> (As a guess the difference between WStation and GSX is GSX allows you
> allocate two (or more) external IP's to internal VM's and two (or more)
> port 80's open at the same time ???)
>
> But is there a clever way to use ESX or is Mono doing the ESX thing ?
> Could using ESX, somewhere in the scenario, be of advantage in any way
> for someone only using one HDD ?
>
> i.e. if Mono and subsequent VM's were all in one compartment of ESX,
> what is this doing ?
> Perhaps this would allow me to place a web server unprotected and so I
> could watch hacking attempts from my secure server ????
>
> Thanks

Xavier Beaudouin - Unix System Administrator & Projects Leader.
President of Kazar Organization : http://www.kazar.net/
Please visit http://caudium.net/, home of Caudium & Camas projects