[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  maximkh at yahoo dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help connecting two local subnets
 Date:  Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:15:18 -0500
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:48:24 -0800 (PST), Max Khitrov <maximkh at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> Hi guys, having a bit of trouble with this and can't figure out why.
> Basically my setup is this: cable modem connects to a switch, that
> switch connects to two separate routers, one serves 192.168.1.0/24
> network and the other serves 192.168.2.0/24 network.
>
> The .1.0 router
> connects a LAN interface to another switch to which all of its hosts
> are connected. The .2.0 connects to a third switch on the LAN interface
> to which the .2.0 hosts is connected, and I also just installed an OPT1
> interface which is connected to the .1.0 switch.

Why two separate routers?

> Basically we have a number of devices (like network printers) on the
> .1.0 network that the .2.0 guys need to be able to access. I configured
> the OPT1 interface with 192.168.1.254/24, set up a static route on the
> LAN interface with destination 192.168.1.0/24 and gateway
> 192.168.1.254. At this point it looks as though I should be able to
> access the other network, but so far I can't ping anything over there.
> The "Enable filtering bridge" is unchecked, so the firewall shouldn't
> be blocking packets (and there's nothing in the firewall log about
> this).

You don't need static routes on m0n0wall in this setup.  That's at
least one of your problems.

If I understand what you're saying, you want to use m0n0wall to route
between these two subnets, and leave the two internet routers in
place?  Unless you have some really good reason to extremely over
complicate the network like this, I'd yank both routers and use one
m0n0wall as the router between subnets and to the internet.

-Chris