[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  zealot <zealot at tradersguild dot net>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to expand m0n0wall ?
 Date:  Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:14:03 -0600
Andreas,

Allow me to summarize your series of posts to the mailing list and add
my own commentary.

What you are in search of is a front-end tool (web based GUI) to manage
your small-form-factor PC which has the following services running:
   - firewall
   - router
   - file server
   - email server
   - web server (?)
   - other services (?)

m0n0wall is not what you're looking for. Please ask me why via private
email if you are unsure.

Regardless of what hardware you end up using (simple or exotic, home
built or store purchased), the administrative tools to manage your OS,
services, and userland applications can be addressed with the following:
   - X Windows, KDE/Gnome desktop environment (or some lightweight
windows manager), and graphical admin utilities
   - Webmin, Usermin, and Virtualmin (http://www.webmin.com/)
   - web://cp (http://webcp.can-host.com)
   - Ispman (http://ispman.sourceforge.net/index.php)

The following list contains commercial products:
   - Plesk (http://www.plesk.com)
   - H-Sphere (http://www.psoft.net)
   - Ensim (http://www.ensim.com)
   - cPanel & WebHost Manager (http://www.cpanel.net)

Mandrake sells a package that make it easy to administer specialized
services on a variety of hardware installs
(http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mnf).

Suse used to sell "Suse Linux Firewall VPN Edition" which may have fit
your needs.

Of course, you could always roll your own solution (build your
collection of tools) to run on top of your installed OS - even window$.

Hope that helps,