[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to expand m0n0wall ?
 Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:17:06 -0700
At 11:57 AM 12/1/2003, Andreas Mixich wrote:
>Now I have a So370 based Micro-ATX system in a custom case (designed by
>myself) with two 120mm temp-controled fans, running with 256MB DDR266 and
>a VIA C3 "Nehemiah" at 1GHz. The CPU is cooled passively. The PSU was
>modded by a friend of mine. Right now I run a single 120GB harddsik.

I think the problem is we mis-understood your goal.  We've been looking at
m0n0wall and the like as a firewall, not a general purpose home
server.  There is almost nothing I can imaging a firewall doing that would
require a gigahertz processor.  The 133MHz 486 in a net4501 can stay ahead
of 10 or so T1 lines.

Might I suggest this.  Build two boxes.  One net4501 (or 4801 if you plan
to do a bunch of crunching on the message texts) and use it as just a
firewall.  Put your server behind it.  Let APM on your server spin down
your RAID disks after, say, an hour of no activity.  The Soekris, of
course, has no moving parts.

I think that would be closer to what you've been describing, and more
secure to boot.

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --