[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim McBeath <jimmc at macrovision dot com>
 To:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] wireless+IPsec+RedHat9?
 Date:  Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:49:00 -0800
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 06:33:29PM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>    At 04:36 PM 12/1/2003, Jim McBeath wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased a wireless card (Netgear MA311) for my m0n0wall
> > box (Soekris net4501).  Happily, installing it was very easy, and I was
> > quickly able to get it talking to a wireless card in my laptop using WEP.
>
>    Glad to hear that.  My radio is in the mail.  It's a Netgate
>    EL-2511MP PLUS 802.11b Mini PCI card with a 5.0 dBi rubber duckie.
>      http://www.netgate.com/soekris-miniPCI.html
>    Did you have any trouble getting yours to fit?  I assume you had to
>    remove the bracket and re-wire the connector.  The kit I bought is
>    already set up like that.  I'll just have to drill a hole for the
>    RP-TNC connector.

The MA311 is a regular PCI card, not a mini-PCI.  I removed the bracket
from the MA311 (easily done by removing two little screws) and drilled a
hole in the Soekris case in the right position for the MA311's antenna
connector to stick out.  The MA311 fits just right in the 4501 case.
Just for fun, I also drilled a little hole so I can see the activity
LED on the MA311.  I plugged the MA311 into the Soekris board, put them
both back into the case and put all the screws back in, and attached the
antenna to the connector which is now sticking out the back.  Powered up,
configured the new interface with m0n0, that's it.

--
Jim