[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bart Smit <bit at signature dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Persistence of /var/db/dhcpd.leases
 Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:04:43 +0100 (CET)
Hi all,

Today I ran into the (as of now still minor) problem that m0n0wall doesn't
keep its dhcp leases database over reboots. This may have very well been
the reason for the fixed and very short lease times in the earlier
releases.

Now that pb20 has configurable lease times (which is very good!) I feel
that at least explicit shutdowns (reboot through webgui or from the
console) should save the dhcp leases database.

To keep in line with m0n0wall's design philosophy, of course this should
go into the XML config file.

I'm not at all sure if I would want all lease database updates to be saved
to the config file on the fly each time, as that may cause wear on flash
media. Perhaps the number of config updates could be capped through a
(configurable?) minimum interval between writes, but this kind of kludge
gets ugly very quickly. But it's clear that striving to make that
database persistent is a Good Thing. Any other ideas on this?

--
Bart