[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Bart Smit <bit at signature dot nl>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Persistence of /var/db/dhcpd.leases
 Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:27:20 +0100
On 05.12.2003, at 12:04, Bart Smit wrote:

> Now that pb20 has configurable lease times (which is very good!) I feel
> that at least explicit shutdowns (reboot through webgui or from the
> console) should save the dhcp leases database.

Why? I haven't had any problems with the fact that the lease database
is lost on reboot. The ISC DHCP server, as used by m0n0wall, also
attempts to ping an IP address before assigning it to a client to
minimize the possibility of conflicts. And besides, none of the box
firewall products I know save the DHCP lease database on reboots.

I think it's enough that the DynDNS information is stored on flash
(which is absolutely necessary to keep DynDNS from banning people due
to abusive updates). I'd prefer that no dynamic information be stored
on the CF at all to make sure that m0n0wall behaves in exactly the same
way each time it boots as long as the user doesn't modify the
configuration.

- Manuel