[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bart Smit <bit at signature dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Persistence of /var/db/dhcpd.leases
 Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:17:16 +0100 (CET)
> I'll have to second that. If you need frequent reboots, there is some
> other issue, no?

No, you are reading things I didn't write. I don't need frequent reboots.
I hate them as much as I hate loss of state information, and for similar
reasons.

> Why? I haven't had any problems with the fact that the lease database
> is lost on reboot.

Well, I agree that it is hard to come up with real-world *practical*
problems with this, but the way I understand the design of the DHCP
protocol, the server makes a promise about reserving an address for you.
Not making an effort to preserve state is simply not conformant to that
design. That's all.

> And besides, none of the box firewall products I know save the DHCP
> lease database on reboots.

Frankly, I have never bought and will never buy the "nobody else is doing
it" argument. ;-)

> I'd prefer that no dynamic information be stored on the CF at all to
> make sure that m0n0wall behaves in exactly the same way each time it
> boots as long as the user doesn't modify the configuration.

Uhm... yes. I can see your point but it's a good one.

Thanks both you guys or commenting.

--
Bart