[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b7
 Date:  Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:40:11 -0500
Dave Warren wrote:

> I finally took the plunge and upgraded to 1.2b7 (from b3) running the
> ISO version.
>
> Things were good for the first 24 hours or so.  Starting earlier
> today, the router is rebooting every couple hours (somewhat randomly)
> -- I'm not sure what the exact cause is, one time it was right after I
> opened the CPU graph, but that wasn't the case any of the subsequent
> cases.
>
> I'm going to toss my b3 CD back in the drive and make sure the problem
> doesn't recur.
>
> Anyone else?  What can I do as far as troubleshooting this?

What kind of hardware are you running this on?  The big change between
1.2b3 and 1.2b7 is that 1.2b7 runs on FreeBSD 5.3 as opposed to 4.9 for
the older version.  I'm personally running 1.2b7 on 3 different
machines, a PII333, a PII400 and a Celeron 566.  Each has 128MB of ram.
One has a flash card, the other 2 are running from hard drives.  All 3
are running stable.  The PII400 machine has about 60 users behind it,
and a VPN to another office with the PII333 and another 10 users.  Both
are on T1s.  Considering how stable mine are running, I'd be checking
towards my hardware if I were you.

Let me use this as a time to say to Manuel, thank you for a job well
done.  Even your beta is stable enough to carry this kind of load with
not a single problem.

--Chris