[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b7
 Date:  Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:39:00 -0700
Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:

>Dave Warren wrote:
>

>>I finally took the plunge and upgraded to 1.2b7 (from b3) running the
>>ISO version.
>>
>>Things were good for the first 24 hours or so.  Starting earlier
>>today, the router is rebooting every couple hours (somewhat randomly)
>>-- I'm not sure what the exact cause is, one time it was right after I
>>opened the CPU graph, but that wasn't the case any of the subsequent
>>cases.
>>
>>I'm going to toss my b3 CD back in the drive and make sure the problem
>>doesn't recur.
>>
>>Anyone else?  What can I do as far as troubleshooting this?
>>

>What kind of hardware are you running this on?  The big change between
>1.2b3 and 1.2b7 is that 1.2b7 runs on FreeBSD 5.3 as opposed to 4.9 for
>the older version.  I'm personally running 1.2b7 on 3 different
>machines, a PII333, a PII400 and a Celeron 566.  Each has 128MB of ram.
>One has a flash card, the other 2 are running from hard drives.  All 3
>are running stable.  The PII400 machine has about 60 users behind it,
>and a VPN to another office with the PII333 and another 10 users.  Both
>are on T1s.  Considering how stable mine are running, I'd be checking
>towards my hardware if I were you.

It definitely could be hardware related, but other then the 1.2b3
lockups (which a configuration file rebuild fixed) I've had 100% uptime
since the day I installed m0n0wall (not counting when I reconfigure and
need a reboot, of course)

It could be a 4.9-5.3 problem too, although most of what I've heard was
bootup related.

The machine is a PII, 300MHz-ish (I think, I'm not in front of the
machine), with either 64MB or 96MB of RAM.  Memory usage is around 34%
any time I've checked, no IPSec, PPTP server is enabled but no users
were authenticated.

I've done a bit of researching and I now have reason to believe that the
problem may occur when one of my Vonage VoIP phones is in use.  I'll
investigate further tonight once I don't have any other users connected,
but in the mean time I dropped my 1.2b3 CD in the drive and I've been
stable.

--
Study reveals half the country has below-average intelligence.