[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vincent Fleuranceau <vincent at bikost dot com>
 To:  maximkh at yahoo dot com, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaper Wizard Question
 Date:  Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:39:02 +0100
> Really short one, just because I'm curios - why is it that if I enter
> 6600/768 as my connection speed and use the wizard to auto generate the
> rules, in the Pipes tab it enters values that are slightly lower then
> what I entered.
>
> Is this done on purpose? And if so then what it is? :)
>
> Also, are there any downsides to using the wizard? Should I try to
> configure it manually, or does the wizard to a good enough job for most situations?

It uses your value x 95% (or 90%, I don't remember)

"Don't forget that e.g. 128 kbps ADSL line speed is only about 100 kbps
effective. If you set this value too high, your modem buffer will still
become full and prioritization will accomplish nothing."

Source:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-ackprio.html

-- Vincent