[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP server irregularities.
 Date:  Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:27:13 -0500
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:10:16 -0500, David Cavanaugh
<dcavanaugh at thewebpros dot net> wrote:
> Thank you the help James.
>
> However, I found what might be a clue. At the end of Chapter 7 in the
> user's guide: "Network Neighborhood in Windows does not work over PPTP
> connections because broadcasts are not forwarded across the PPTP
> connection"

James is right.

That was a quick comment I threw in at the end of Chapter 7, not
really an "authoritative" answer, because you can make it work, it
just almost always doesn't because of lack of appropriate setup
permitting name resolution to function across multiple subnets.  Setup
WINS and/or DNS appropriately for Windows and it'll work fine.  It's a
Windows problem no matter how you end up on a different
subnet/broadcast domain, not a m0n0wall problem.

This is on my list of things to put together a better answer on.  For
the time being, Google for 'Network Neighborhood across subnets',
'name resolution site:microsoft.com', and similar things.  That got me
what looked like some good answers.

-Chris