[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] PPTP server irregularities.
 Date:  Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:45:29 -0500
David Cavanaugh wrote:
> Thank you the help James.
>
> However, I found what might be a clue. At the end of Chapter 7 in
the
> user's guide: "Network Neighborhood in Windows does not work over
PPTP
> connections because broadcasts are not forwarded across the PPTP
> connection"
>
> Maybe that is why it does not work. Moreover, if it does not work
> because broadcasts are not sent over the PPTP interface, is there a
> way to enable broadcasts over the PPTP interface?
>
> And, if it absolutely cannot work, I would like to know,
> authoritatively. I will just have to attempt to use RRAS on 2003 for
> VPN.

You are correct, broadcasts will not work and Windows networking
(generally) needs broadcasts to resolve NetBIOS names to IP addresses.
Unless you supply your client machine the IP of the server you with to
access. This is where hosts/lmhosts or WINS comes in. With
hosts/lmhosts you can tell your client machines that <server> is at
<IP Address>. WINS does this in a nice automated manner (until the jet
database gets corrupt...)

Are the remote clients laptops or home computers? If laptops, just add
the appropriate lines to the hosts file (or lmhosts if you follow the
link in my last post...) next time they are in the office. If the
machines are home computers you may need to walk the users threw
adding the lines.

Home/hotel networks may cause a problem if they use the same subnet as
your office LAN.

James W. McKeand