[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b7
 Date:  Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:24:49 -0700
Chris Buechler wrote:

>Definitely be interesting to hear if that's the case.
>
>I have a possibly crazy thought, based upon a couple past reports to
>the list.  (I haven't been able to replicate lock ups on any of
>several systems, or I'd try this)
>
>There's been at least one reported case where resetting to factory and
>reconfiguring from scratch to identically how it used to be set up
>(not restoring from backup) has fixed a lock up problem.  If somebody
>that can replicate these problems can try that (though I know it makes
>no sense, at least not that I can think of) it would be interesting to
>see if that has any effect.

I'm one of the cases where this definitely resulted in a fix in the
past, and I remember reading another as well.

I'm getting underway renumbering my internal network (I'm generating a
todo list and trying to logically order things, anyway -- I'm not really
"underway" as in moving to new IPs yet).  I don't plan on reconfiguring
m0n0wall to use my new internal IP numbers, I'm just going to start from
scratch and see if the reboots continue.

If I still run into problems I can always build a 1.2b3 config using the
new IPs and go from there (or look into replacing the hardware, which
has actually been on my todo list for a while since I want to use IPSec,
and ideally I'd like to move to a CF card rather then using a hard drive
and/or CDRW)

--
A gun isn't a weapon; it's a tool. Like a harpoon, or a hammer or an
alligator. You just need more education on this subject.