[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 Cc:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b7
 Date:  Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:42:24 -0500
Dave Warren wrote:

> Chris Buechler wrote:
>
>> Definitely be interesting to hear if that's the case.
>> I have a possibly crazy thought, based upon a couple past reports to
>> the list.  (I haven't been able to replicate lock ups on any of
>> several systems, or I'd try this)
>>
>> There's been at least one reported case where resetting to factory and
>> reconfiguring from scratch to identically how it used to be set up
>> (not restoring from backup) has fixed a lock up problem.  If somebody
>> that can replicate these problems can try that (though I know it makes
>> no sense, at least not that I can think of) it would be interesting to
>> see if that has any effect.
>>

> I'm one of the cases where this definitely resulted in a fix in the
> past, and I remember reading another as well.
>
> I'm getting underway renumbering my internal network (I'm generating a
> todo list and trying to logically order things, anyway -- I'm not
> really "underway" as in moving to new IPs yet).  I don't plan on
> reconfiguring m0n0wall to use my new internal IP numbers, I'm just
> going to start from scratch and see if the reboots continue.
>
> If I still run into problems I can always build a 1.2b3 config using
> the new IPs and go from there (or look into replacing the hardware,
> which has actually been on my todo list for a while since I want to
> use IPSec, and ideally I'd like to move to a CF card rather then using
> a hard drive and/or CDRW)

Just out of curiosity, how many IPSec tunnels are you planning to use?
With 6 going, a 566 Celeron barely has any processor usage.  I have a
333 on one end with 1 tunnel and the processor hovers around 1% all day
with steady traffic.  There aren't alot of firewall rules on either of
these machines though.  The tunnels establish in 1 second maximum, even
with a 333 processor.  I highly recommend a CF card though.  Was the
best thing I ever did.

Chris