[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Rasmus Fauske" <rasmus at postboks dot org>
 To:  "Bryan Marc Schaubach" <omschaub at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Why I left M0N0Wall
 Date:  Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:09:02 +0100
> So, test it yourself.. from a LAN computer run ping -f -c 100000
> 192.168.x.x and see what happens.. do it to another computer in your lan
> and then to the m0n0wall box..  I bet you will find that m0n0wall limits
> the connection speed and actually drops packets if they come too fast.

This is not packet loss but freebsd shaping the icmp responses to be able to
let other requests pass as they should
Limiting icmp ping response from 235 to 200 packets/sec
Limiting icmp ping response from 236 to 200 packets/sec
Limiting icmp ping response from 236 to 200 packets/sec
Limiting icmp ping response from 236 to 200 packets/sec

As you can see this is a standard freebsd message when under DoS attac or
something like that. (type dmesg in /exec.php to get the logs of this)

--
Rasmus Fauske