[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bryan Marc Schaubach <omschaub at gmail dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Why I left M0N0Wall
 Date:  Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:36:22 -0500
>If you can find a real benchmark that means something, I'd like to try it.

Just run the latest beta version of Azureus (2.2.0.3-B53) and download a
popular release of Linux and let it tell you how many times a socket is
'spinning.'  Each error Azureus generates (as per the developer) is the
result of 10000 packet losses!!!  That is unacceptable!  These
disconnects are disrupting the very backbone of a successfull P2P
download.  We will not turn this into a P2P is the devil discussion, but
it is a legitimate network protocol that a lot of people use.

I know that my words piss off some people, and for that I am sorry, but
listen, I changed to a Fedora Linux kernel and all of my Azureus errors
went away..  There is a fundamental error("feature") in M0N0Wall/FreeBSD
that is mucking up these high thread/packet programs and that should not
be -- at least for me.. if this is acceptable behavior for you because
you believe that P2P is evil, then so be it.. I just had to find a
solution that allowed me to get my anime ;) without being banned by
everybody because my local network was loosing too many packets.