[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bryan Marc Schaubach <omschaub at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists at sancho2k dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Why I left M0N0Wall
 Date:  Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:47:30 -0500
>Is this something specific to the Azureus client? Do you see the same
>behavior using other clients?

Like I said before, it happens on many High thread count programs.. like
KLibido and aKregator which are not bt clients at all.. threads just
stop and then they will pick back up when the program times them out.. I
am not having any of these problems now (since clarkconnect).. so I
really feel (for me at least) m0n0wall is limiting the connections and
dropping them if that limit is exceeded.

>I use "some other" BT torrent client on Linux and haven't seen problems
>like you describe. True, a ping flood against the m0n0wall will be
>throttled, which fits in line that "a billion icmp echo requests a
>second is not legitimate traffic" and *should* be throttled

Fair enough.. I have since learned the error of that.. It is probably
not the best, but also should be user settable as it is not easy to
flood a connection to a server for testing purposes unless you use a
command like this.

>A ping -f is a poor
>troubleshooting tool to determine that though. Using a tool like iperf,
>what sort of real packet loss / speeds do you see with TCP or UDP
>*through* the m0n0wall? The compare this to the same measurements
>*through* your clarkconnect and see if there is really that significant
>of a difference.

Ok.. I am very willing to look into this and do some testing.. but as
far as my cursory understanding of iperf goes, it takes a server.. I do
not know anyplace that will allow me to try to pull my 5mbits from
them.. If I am misunderstanding how this works, could you please provide
a quick run down on setting this up and which commands to run.. I have
iperf installed locallay, but how do I find a server for testing that
can truly give me a good test?

Thanks for not flamming me and I hope to test this with help.. I would
enjoy a good comparison between the two firewalls.

-Bryan