[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Lan questions
 Date:  Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:57:09 -0500
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:27:47 +0200, kfineta fineta <kfineta at gmail dot com> wrote:
> It seems to me that you would just use the WAN interface for one of
> the subnets, and turn off NAT.

Yeah that'd be the way to do it.

> It is a possibility, but I don't want to do it. For example: wan
> interface needs gateway ip. Why I want a gateway IP between two
> subnets? Perhaps each interface could be assigned the type as for the
> wan interface.

If you only want to route between two subnets that's fine, but if the
machines also need to get to the internet, you need a default gateway
for the system (if it doesn't match either subnet, it goes there).
Static routes don't allow for a /0 (a 0.0.0.0/0 route could be used as
a default gateway in lieu of using the WAN interface at all)

> No, there is no SSH or console, the closest thing to it would be
> exec.php which allows you to run shell commands.
>
> Fine, beauty option.

There's an unsupported, unofficial way to add SSH support.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~fredmol/m0n0/

> I think  you're able to use up to four interfaces (LAN, WAN, OPT1, OPT2).
>
> UP to four is the limit?

You can use as many as you want.  For an internal router between
subnets, using VLAN's would be more appropriate if your switch
supports them.  Physical interfaces will work fine too though.

> Sure, I only want route and firewall the two or more subnets. I don't
> want NAT. I only want an internal router / firewall. Is monowall right
> for me?

I think it could work under these circumstances.

-Chris