[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mat Johns <mbj202 at ecs dot soton dot ac dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b5+ BitTorrent problem
 Date:  Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:41:46 +0100
A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk wrote:

> one way would be to have 2 versions of m0n0. the 4.x train
>
>and a 5.x for those that 'want all the jazz'. this would satisfy those
>who want fast stable firewall, those who want to use .11g ON their firewall
>(I use a 802.11g switch/router which is plugged into the m0n0 OPT1)
>but wouldnt help those who wanted both

Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt m0n0's primary philosophy to simply be
a firewall?
All the 5.3 shininess is all well and good but perhaps people are
pushing m0n0 to be everything! Maybe all the "foo" such as the newer
unstable nic drivers could be half the problem, the only real way to get
an optomised firewall is to just have a firewall! Systems such as
wireless access points, proxies and radius servers can be located
elsewhere and focus can be on protecting data flow (ipfilter, captive
portalling, ipsec etc).

These are just my thoughts, I would assume there are a large majority
out there who like and use these features, however I used to regilously
update to the lastest beta normally the day it arrived, but Ive found
that all the stuff I NEED are in the 1.11 release which is absolutely
rock solid.

~Mat
mbj202 at ecs dot soton dot ac dot uk