[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Why I left M0N0Wall
 Date:  Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:01:25 -0800
Bryan Marc Schaubach wrote:
> Hello m0n0wall users,

> So, test it yourself.. from a LAN computer run ping -f -c 100000
> 192.168.x.x and see what happens.. do it to another computer in your lan
> and then to the m0n0wall box..  I bet you will find that m0n0wall limits
> the connection speed and actually drops packets if they come too fast.

Meaningless.  FreeBSD by default has net.inet.icmp.icmplim set to 200.

Do you have the remotest idea of what this means?

Connect with a Java-equippend browser through your m0n0wall to a
machine equipped with an instrumented Linux kernel, running the nitro
userland stuff.

See http://nitro.ucsc.edu/ for links, examples, tests, etc.

This will give detailed packet loss stats for TCP.  Do you understand
yet that your ICMP flood won't tell you anything meaningful?