[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Bandwidth Reservation - Possible?
 Date:  Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:40:05 -0500
Morten Trab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of getting IP-Phone, but fell over this "Requires 100
> kbit/s full duplex pr. Call"
>
> Is it possible to reserve 100 kbit/s up and down in m0n0wall??
>
> Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards,
> Morten Trab
> http://www.blackchart.dk

I am assuming you are talking about something like Vonage or AT&T
CallVantage (SIP?). The Traffic Shaping is the mechanism you are
looking for to reserve bandwidth. You can specify how much bandwidth
is allowed for the IP of the ATA (Analog Telephone Adaptor) that
connects your phone to your network (or to the phone itself). I would
guess that the same would be true with a software phone (reserve the
bandwidth to your PC).

Now the bad news. I had enabled TS to improve the call quality of my
Vonage. I did not see the reported improvement in call quality when I
had Traffic Shaping enabled. In fact, I saw a drop in call quality. It
may have been my hardware (Soekris net4501) or early version of
m0n0wall. I took the shaping off rather quickly. I don't have any
problems with my Vonage unless I am trying to download a large file
(Linux ISO) at the same time of a call. I regularly use PCAnywhere or
MS RDP to access clients machines while on the phone with them - no
problems (with no shaping...)

James W. McKeand