[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b5+ BitTorrent problem
 Date:  Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:21:27 -0500
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:13:44 -0500, Braden McGrath
<braden at mcmail dot homeip dot net> wrote:
> 1.2b6, Azureus 2.2.0.2 (release build) on Win2k3, downloading the
> torrent you linked...
>
> I'm pulling ~330KiB/s, sending around 4, and have about 30%-40% cpu
> usage on a Soekris 4801, so it doesn't seem like a huge problem with b6.

I tried on a 4801 and had about that same result, i.e. the problem
wasn't there.  I got up to 460-470 KB/s too, while I was limited to
380-400 KB/s with the 4501.

Manuel hit the nail on the head with the problem.  The 5.x-based betas
won't push nearly the traffic the 4.x based ones did.  I used to be
able to get a steady 8-10 Mb out of a 4501, now I can't get much more
than 3.2 Mb or so.

It's CPU bound, so you won't see the problem on a 4801 until you get
up to well over 4 Mb of bandwidth, and won't see it on a 4501 unless
you have at least 4 Mb.

An unscientific but decent test shows almost the same results pulling
single stream downloads between the two, though BT kills the CPU a bit
quicker than single HTTP or FTP downloads.

-Chris