[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b7 lockups on Soekris 48xx
 Date:  Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:09:06 -0500
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:41:58 +0200, Frederick Page
<fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de> wrote:

> >>Might be indeed a temperature issue, the Bios freezes the machine
> >>according to docs, when temperature gets too high. Maybe the sensor
> >>is off in some machines.
>
> >One of the early things I plan to make run is the watchdog.  (At least,
> >I haven't seen any evidence of it being
> >enabled.)
>
> That sounds like a good idea. However, if those freezes should be
> because the BIOS of the WRAP (mistakenly) believes the temperature is
> too high and freezes the machine, I doubt the watchdog will be able to
> react (when complete machine is frozen by BIOS).
>
> I now have the WRAP running like hell, with no problems whatsoever,
> the temperature theory seems to be it. Maybe a sensor is off and gives
> wrong readings? I am very glad that my WRAP does not freeze anymore.

Given the problem discovered over the weekend with much higher CPU
utilization on b5+, which of course would generate more heat from the
CPU, this makes sense.  I don't think it should be getting hot enough
to freeze up the WRAP though, unless it has a design flaw that it
can't run at higher CPU utilization for very long.

As far as the watchdog, it used to be enabled and was taken out long
ago because it caused problems more than it helped.  It unnecessarily
caused reboots, possibly amongst other problems, but check the
archives if you want to look at it further.
http://www.google.com/search?q=watchdog+site%3Am0n0%2Ech

-Chris