[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Why I left M0N0Wall
 Date:  Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:27:56 +0200
Hallo Bryan,

Bryan Marc Schaubach schrieb am 26. March 2005:

>I initially thought it was my AMD64 box running Gentoo

That would be my assumption too.

>but to me running heavy P2P apps, it is detrimental...  P2P apps like
>Azureus send a tremendous amount of packets on one port to the router
>at once.. and this is the crux of the problem.

I myself run Azureus 2.2.0.2 with about 400 - 600 GB traffic per
month, I previously had a Soekris net4801, now a WRAP. I have about
1-3% packet loss but only on the external interface, that is 10
mBit/half-duplex connected to my ISP's router.

>My main machine does indeed run a gigabit card

Same here: Intel MT 1000, and a 3Com Gigabit 8-port switch.

>it all resulted in a 20-24% packet loss for EVERYBODY.

As I said: can't reproduce that here, but I never used the generic PC
image, m0n0wall is designed for embedded PCs like Soekris or WRAP in
the first place, I could also not think of a reason why to run another
complete, noisy, power-eating PC in the first place.

>So, test it yourself.. from a LAN computer run ping -f -c 100000
>192.168.x.x and see what happens.. do it to another computer in your lan
>and then to the m0n0wall box..  I bet you will find that m0n0wall limits
>the connection speed and actually drops packets if they come too fast.

The log-file says something like "limiting number of ICMP responses to
200". This is called rate-limiting, so there is your answer for the
supposed "packet loss".

Kind regards   Frederick