[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Yavor <Yavor at Bulgaria dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  need help with private network on WAN pptp interface
 Date:  Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:06:56 +0300
Hello,

I've read FAQ, searched lists, experimented, etc but was unable to find
solution to my problem.

I'm sorry if I, nevertheless, missed the answer but I would appreciate
any help with this because I really can't figure out what is going on.

Here is the situation:

I use m0n0 at home with WAN and LAN NICs. WAN is configured as pptp in
order to connect to my ISP. I can happily browse the Internet but am
unable to reach any local servers of my IPS.

WAN settings:

Username: myusername
Password: mypassword
Local IP address: 192.168.113.x
Remote IP address: 192.168.112.1/20

LAN settings:

192.168.1.1/24

I have "Block private networks" unchecked.

I want to be able to access servers on local network 192.168.112.0/20
from a machine behind m0n0. In general they should be available even
when pptp link is not established and m0n0 haven't authenticated against
PPTP server (which is FreeBSD btw). These hosts are in my (well, m0n0's
WAN) LAN after all. I even do not need default gateway, do I? What is
even more strange, is that when I plug the ISP cable directly into my
workstation I can access all but one server on ISP LAN. The later needs
PPTP link alive even if it is within the 192.168.112.0 network. Namely I
can't access 192.168.114.254 host no matter what I am trying unless I
connect with pptp! New PPTP interface has nothing to do with routing
btw. I cheked that too. Do you know how one can hide a single host on
LAN link this?! Is there a secret mechanism preventing some host from
the LAN to be seen unless some other condition is true?! I am truly
amazed, I must confess!

But I will be happy enough if you point me the way how I can reach host
on m0n0's WAN LAN :) I've tried static routes, outbound NAT, everything
with little success.

I am sorry if this is not too clear a post/question and will gladly
clarify any issue if there is a need.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Yavor