[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b5+ BitTorrent problem
 Date:  Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:07:48 +0200
Hallo Chris,

Chris Buechler schrieb am 26. March 2005:

>With a 4501 and 1.2b7, downloading about 400 KBps and uploading 2-3
>KBps on BitTorrent pegs the CPU on m0n0wall at 100%.  With 1.2b3 and
>earlier I used BT without any issues.

I use Azureus all the time and have a 2 mBit SDSL line. I am capable
of simultaneously down- and uploading 220 KB/sec in each direction
(440 KB/sec total bandwidth). The CPU of my WRAP (266 mHz) is at about
50% when doing so. I guess a 133 Mhz CPU would be maxed out, so I can
confirm your findings.

Graphs here: http://www.fpage.org/ifgraph/ click on first graphic for
details.

>Azureus seemed to be the worst, pegging it at 100% all the time.

P2P obviously puts the most strain on m0n0 and should therefore be a
good testing field for evaluating other options. I am not sure whether
it makes sense to debug the current FBSD 5.3 issues and/or better cut
the losses and consider other options.

Kind regards   Frederick