[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b7 lockups on Soekris 48xx
 Date:  Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:27:25 +0200
Hallo Chris,

Chris Buechler schrieb am 28. March 2005:

>Given the problem discovered over the weekend with much higher CPU
>utilization on b5+, which of course would generate more heat from the
>CPU, this makes sense.  I don't think it should be getting hot enough
>to freeze up the WRAP though, unless it has a design flaw that it
>can't run at higher CPU utilization for very long.

I now drilled two holes in the encasement of the WRAP, also have the
bottom "lifted" (put two pencils under it, so it gets air underneath
it). This seems to have done the trick, it does not freeze anymore, so
I am inclined to think that my freezes were indeed temperature
related.

However I cannot imagine that it reached the critical 80 degrees
Celsius, the encasement never was more than hand-warm. But it all
makes sense: more CPU-load creates more heat, it's as simple as that.

>As far as the watchdog, it used to be enabled and was taken out long
>ago because it caused problems more than it helped.

Thanks for the information. There also was another problem, my Asus
P4P800 motherboard has an onboard NIC 3Com 940C (Gigabit). This one
stopped working reliably after about 1.5 years, often lost it's DHCP
lease (m0n0wall logged "device released, interface not found") and the
NIC simply froze for about 2 hours, then it "magically" submitted a
DHCP request, got served and worked for another e.g. 6 hours. Since I
disabled that NIC and replaced it with an Intel MT 1000, everything
works fine again.

I am considering to go back to 1.2b3, then I will loose the SNMP
reading of CPU-usage, ah well ...

Kind regards   Frederick