[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jean-Francois Theroux <jftheroux at privalodc dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Why I left M0N0Wall
 Date:  Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:43:21 -0500
He must of had crappy hardware. I run m0n0wall at our colocation on a
100MB pipe. I push a lot of traffic out of m0n0wall on a P2-233 with 512
megs of RAM. No packet loss, no problems whatsoever. That box has been
up for months.

People tend to blend what is very unknown to them. It's much easier than
learning and figuring out what's wrong with their own setup.

my 0.02$CAD

-jf

Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:23:50 +0200, Frederick Page
> <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de> wrote:
>
>>The more exclamation marks, the less people will take you seriously. I
>>agree that such behaviour is unacceptable, however your conclusion
>>(being m0n0wall the culprit) seem a bit far fetched to me. Looks to me
>>that you are the only one on this mailing list experiencing the
>>problem. This gives a clue that it might be on your side.
>>

> I agree with most of that, but
>
> Actually he did help us uncover a legitimate problem with m0n0wall
> b5+, in that it takes way more CPU than previous versions did.  So he
> didn't have enough CPU to keep up with his bandwidth, and hence it
> likely was dropping packets.
>
> -Chris

Jean-Francois Theroux
Systems administrator