[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b7 lockups on Soekris 48xx
 Date:  Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:09:10 -1000
Frederick Page wrote:

>Hallo Jim,
>
>Jim Thompson schrieb am 24. March 2005:
>

>>>Might be indeed a temperature issue, the Bios freezes the machine
>>>according to docs, when temperature gets too high. Maybe the sensor
>>>is off in some machines.
>>>

>>One of the early things I plan to make run is the watchdog.  (At least,
>>I haven't seen any evidence of it being
>>enabled.)
>>That sounds like a good idea. However, if those freezes should be
>>because the BIOS of the WRAP (mistakenly) believes the temperature is
>>too high and freezes the machine, I doubt the watchdog will be able to
>>react (when complete machine is frozen by BIOS).
>>
>>I now have the WRAP running like hell, with no problems whatsoever,
>>the temperature theory seems to be it. Maybe a sensor is off and gives
>>wrong readings? I am very glad that my WRAP does not freeze anymore.

The WRAP manual (from PCEngines) says that the default for the thermal
sensor is 80C,
and that it will "reset" the board (not freeze it).

Note that the BIOS isn't involved (unless you used the BIOS to lower the
threshold of the temp
sensor.)   The sensor operates independently of the BIOS.  80C is *HOT*
too, 176F for those of us still stuck in a non-metric mindset.  If its
that hot inside your box, all kinds of things are going wrong, and you
have ZERO chance of the radios being able to send/receive when the
boards are this hot.

jim