[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dennis Hoshield" <dhosh at gaslightmedia dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  DHCP relay
 Date:  Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:44:30 -0500
Hello all .

I am attempting to get multiple ports on a Soekris 4521 (2 radios + LAN
interface), running 1.2b7,  to be subject to the captive portal option on a
Sorekirs 4501 running the same OS.  We know we can't do this unless the
interface with captive portal turned on, is supplying the IP addresses via
DHCP.

The current problem is getting DHCP relay implemented.  I have the DHCP
server enabled on the 4501's eth0 interface, connected via X-over cable to
the 4521's WAN port.  I am just testing with the LAN port at the moment, so
the radio interfaces are disabled.  DHCP relay is enabled for the 4501's
LAN.  I have tried configuring it to use the DHCP server at the 4501 LAN's
eth2 fixed address, with a fixed address on the 4521's WAN port, as well as
letting the 4521's WAN port get an IP address from the DHCP server, and
implementing the proxy option in the DHCP relay config.    My laptop can get
a DHCP address when plugged directly into the 4501's eth2, but it doesn't
seem to relay through to the same laptop when connected to the LAN port of
the 4521.

Any ideas?  I believe the Rules are

The 4521's status.php page shows the following under the unparsed ipfilter
rules section:

# allow our DHCP client out to the WAN
# XXX - should be more restrictive
# (not possible at the moment - need 'me' like in ipfw)
pass out quick on sis0 proto udp from any port = 68 to any port = 67
block in log quick on sis0 proto udp from any port = 67 to 10.0.11.0/24 port
= 68
pass in quick on sis0 proto udp from any port = 67 to any port = 68

# LAN/OPT spoof check (needs to be after DHCP because of broadcast
addresses)
block in log quick on sis1 from ! 10.0.11.0/24 to any

What does the "# (not possible at the moment - need 'me' like in ipfw)"
entry mean?

The following was in the 'last 200 system log entries':

Mar 29 13:03:36 cust-rtr dhcrelay: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Relay
Agent V3.0.1rc14
Mar 29 13:03:36 cust-rtr dhcrelay: Copyright 2004 Internet Systems
Consortium.
Mar 29 13:03:36 cust-rtr dhcrelay: All rights reserved.
Mar 29 13:03:36 cust-rtr dhcrelay: For info, please visit
http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Mar 29 13:03:36 cust-rtr dhcrelay: sis0: not found
Mar 29 13:03:36 cust-rtr dhcrelay: sis0: not found

I'm wondering how the sis0 interface can be 'not found', but still show up
in the interfaces section?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dennis