[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brett Dikeman <brett at cloud9 dot net>
 To:  andy dash choi at uiowa dot edu
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hardware monitoring
 Date:  Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:34:58 -0500
Andy Choi wrote:
> Is there some sort of hardware monitoring functionality in m0n0wall? ie
> something that will let me check temps and/or voltages?  This is of
> course without having to look at the BIOS.

Unlikely, given the extremely diverse and often times grossly
incompatible (as in, probe for device B, when you've got device C and
crash the whole damn system) hardware monitoring setups in the tens of
thousands of motherboards out there.  The industry, to my knowledge,
still hasn't standardized.  Adding this capability to m0n0wall would
probably encompass huge amounts of hardware auto detection and it would
be extremely unreliable, at least initially.  If m0n0wall was
linux-based you'd have the potential for using something like kudzu, but
that's not the case.

I'd rather see a full set of network statistics in SNMP first, like:

-collisions, dropped/overrun/frame/carrier errors etc.  Basically, all
the major trouble-indicating stats available from virtually any Ethernet
card
-rejected, dropped, NAT'd, allowed, etc packet counts from the firewall
layer
-connection table size and connections per minute

Those are the most basic and universally useful stats, I believe.
Others could follow, including stats for DHCP, VPN, captive portal, etc.

Virtually all of the above have been standard on even low-end
enterprise-ish networking gear for over a decade, and at the moment an
snmpwalk of a m0n0wall box shows interface speed, IP, location, and
bytes...which is a shame, considering how slick everything else is!

Brett
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~brett/