[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Jason J. Ellingson" <jason at ellingson dot com>
 To:  "'Jesus De la Garza'" <jesus dot delagarza at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Vonage configuration with m0n0
 Date:  Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:35:06 -0600
From an earlier post by me... PLEASE NOTE, this works with the Motorola ATA
box that Vonage sends to some customers...
=== BEGIN ===
I use Comcast high-speed internet (3Mbit)
The ATA is the Motorola one provided by Vonage.

My configuration is as follows:

Monowall (Generic PC-HD version)
Motorola ATA (bridged mode!) - Telephone wall outlet - several phones
Network switch
Several PCs

Monowall configuration
Name    Address      Description
Vonage  Vonage Phone

If   Proto  Ext. port range  NAT IP  Int. port range  Description
WAN  UDP    5061             Vonage  5061             Vonage
WAN  UDP    10000 - 10011    Vonage  10000 - 10011    Vonage

Proto  Source  Port  Destination  Port           Description
UDP    *       *     Vonage       5061           NAT Vonage
UDP    *       *     Vonage       10000 - 10011  NAT Vonage

Motorola configuration
WAN IP Address Assignment  Static
    IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Default Gateway

DNS Servers

DHCP Server/NAT            Disabled

By setting the ATA between the firewall and the network switch, it never has
a problem with me hogging the bandwidth.  I don't use traffic shaping and I
can have Vonage at full 90kbps (best quality) while downloading dozens of
files via bittorrent, eDonkey, etc... fully saturating my bandwidth... all
while still on the phone with perfect clairity.

The trick is to not use the Motorola's NAT.  Set it up with a static IP and
then use proper NAT rules on monowall.

To still browse the Motorola box when configured this way, you need to have
your computer's TCP/IP set to normal 192.168.1.xxx IP, netmask and gateway
*AND* add a 192.168.102.xxx IP and netmask (no gateway though)... then that
computer can use a browser to to configure the motorola box if

Please let me know if this helps anyone.
Jason J Ellingson
Sr. Web Software Developer

615.301.1682 : nashville
612.605.1132 : minneapolis