[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "peter" <peter dot k at gmx dot at>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  1.11 freezing (3c905cx?)
 Date:  Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:00:02 +0200 (MEST)
hi,

did a fresh install of m0n0 1.11 (ok, no install, just booting from cd),
with 3 brand new 3com 3c905cx nics on a PII 233 system, soyo board. disabled
as much as possible in bios, changed graphics adapter (from agp to pci),
changed pci ports for nics so no irq sharing was in place, just tried
everything...

problem is, that m0n0 freezes within 24 hours, no strange firewall logs til
freezing, just stops responding. console screen shows just the initial menue
allowing no keyboard input.

since i am ver new to freebsd and have no experiences, i wonder how to track
down such a problem. i ran memory test, cpu and system board burn in-tests,
everything fine.

i found this
link:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?category=&severity=&priority=&class=&state=&sort=none&text=xl&responsible=&multitext=&originator=&release=

and forgive me if this has absolutely nothing to do with my problem, as
already told i am very new to freebsd, but maybe the cards/xl drivers are
the problem?

i then installed everything on a compaq deskpro 2000 pentium 166 from a
fresh burned cd with 3 cheap d-link cards, now using vr-drivers and it's
running since 48+ hours.

any ideas?
my thoughts:
corrupted boot cd (would the loader recognize this?)
(i learned that even a 100% ok verified burned cd could make problems)

corrupted nics (test 100% ok from 3com tool)
incompatible nics

any other system defects

m0n0 config was:
1 static ip on wan
private class c on lan
routed public 1/4 class c on opt1 with arp proxy

thanks
peter

--
Handyrechnung zu hoch? Tipp: SMS und MMS mit GMX
Seien Sie so frei: Alle Infos unter http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freesms