[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Low-cost VLANing
 Date:  Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:30:48 +0100
Chris,

>I know this isn't strictly on-topic for the list, but since there are so
>many knowledgeable networking folks on the list, it seemed the sensible
>place to ask.
>
>Has anyone found any cost-effective VLAN-capable switches? Everything I've

>you want gigabit. I'm trying to find a cost effective method of VLANing a
>single cat5e link between two buildings. Adding extra cables isn't feasible
>- there's a pavement over the top.

'3com 3300'.

Perform a firmware upgrade on those and they'll handle it for you.
Admittedly they don't do PoE but at that price you can't complain.

I'm planning on removing the two dual NICs in my m0n0wall and switching
to a trunk to the switch to reduce the amount of cabling I have here.
Bandwidth won't be a problem down the single NIC.

HTH,

                                Neil.

--
Neil A. Hillard                E-Mail:   neil at dana dot org dot uk
                               Web:      http://www.dana.org.uk/