[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists at sancho2k dot net>
 To:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OpenBSD Packet Filter in m0n0wall?
 Date:  Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:25 -0700
Jim Thompson wrote:
> Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
>

>> It seems to me that OpenBSD is just screaming for someone to pick up the
>> initiative and produce a nice embedded systems project a la m0n0wall.
>> It's small, secure, and no-nonsense.
>>
>> Granted, these applications have been designed to be portable and will
>> all be available in FreeBSD, but there is something to be said for
>> running on the native platform at times.
>>

> Last I checked, openbsd suffered in terms of performance compared to
> FreeBSD and NetBSD.

In certian areas and applications, performance hits were recognized. In
many of those areas, changes have been made to the tree that offer
dramatic improvement. In other areas, performance hits were shown using
methodologies that had little basis in "real life" usage results.

At any rate, I'm not sure what sort of screaming performance you expect
to see on most embedded platforms (WRAP and Soekris come to mind) that
you'll see go beyond what OpenBSD can provide. They just don't have the
hardware specs to drive the system to that point. I would say for the
greater majority of users, no serious user of OpenBSD will complain
about real world performance shortfalls. Those few who do will certainly
use another platform anyway.

DS