[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OpenBSD for m0n0wall?
 Date:  Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:29:29 -0600
>We are currently in a difficult position: m0n0wall is primarily
>designed for embedded PCs like the WRAP and Soekris. The current
>software brings that hardware to it's limits on nowadays usual
>bandwidths. Chris Buechler told us, that his Soekris net4501 is maxed
>out at about 3 mBit. He can forget about OpenVPN, IPSec and the other
>features ...

Last week, I had 4 laptops, and 1 vonage ATA connected to m0n0wall / Soekris
net4501 via a workgroup switch.

The m0n0wall was plugged into a 3 Mbps / 500k ADSL line.

Under insane bandwidth utilization (all laptops blazing ftp, http, and
bittorrent), I enabled the traffic shaper on m0n0wall and was able to
semi-evenly share the bandwidth. I was able to have a totally normal VoIP
call with the shaper turned on (used its default settings for configuration).

Processor utilization never went over 45%.