[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OpenBSD for m0n0wall?
 Date:  Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:11:25 -1000
Ryan wrote:

>>We are currently in a difficult position: m0n0wall is primarily
>>designed for embedded PCs like the WRAP and Soekris. The current
>>software brings that hardware to it's limits on nowadays usual
>>bandwidths. Chris Buechler told us, that his Soekris net4501 is maxed
>>out at about 3 mBit. He can forget about OpenVPN, IPSec and the other
>>features ...
>>

>Last week, I had 4 laptops, and 1 vonage ATA connected to m0n0wall / Soekris
>net4501 via a workgroup switch.
>
>The m0n0wall was plugged into a 3 Mbps / 500k ADSL line.
>
>Under insane bandwidth utilization (all laptops blazing ftp, http, and
>bittorrent), I enabled the traffic shaper on m0n0wall and was able to
>semi-evenly share the bandwidth. I was able to have a totally normal VoIP
>call with the shaper turned on (used its default settings for configuration).
>
>Processor utilization never went over 45%.

The only time I've maxed out my WRAP or Soekris boxes is when I pass >
18Mbps over a wireless interface, or around 30Mbps over Ethernet.

My cable modem connection runs at 5Mbps... I've never seen that copy of
m0n0 (on a net4501) run over 30% CPU.

Oh yeah, its uptime is: 22 days, 00:06 (I unplugged it to insert the
UPS, power sucks here in Hawaii.)
In/out packets 5041399/7037751 (773.48 MB/3.01 GB)