[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Ed Lentz <elentz at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Net4501 boards
 Date:  Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:47:24 -0500
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:46:52 -0500, Ed Lentz <elentz at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I am a little hesitant here.  I have an opportunity to purchase two
> used 3 lan port Net4501 boards for $20.00 each.  The seller says they
> power up.   But, no further testing was made.  How robust are these
> cards, would that be good enough for you to send the money?

If the lights come on and stay on, I'd be pretty confident that they'd
work.  Of the 50-60 4501's that I have in the field or directly know
people with them in the field, I've never heard of a single one
failing.  This, of course, assuming no screwing around with them
(shorting them out or doing other stupid things).  They seem to be
pretty durable boards though, I've done some things with test boards
that you wouldn't normally want to do with any PC component and have
yet to kill any (no ESD precautions, running outside a case, etc.).

Would I risk $20 a pop for them?  Yeah, unless I knew the owner had
treated them very badly, or had a hint of some other background info
that lead me to believe they wouldn't work.

Given the number of these boards out there, I think they definitely
have a lot of life left in them as far as m0n0wall support.

-Chris