[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  ADSL PCI cards in m0n0
 Date:  Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:23:10 +0100
From a future development point of view, is it ever going to be feasible for
m0n0 to support PCI ADSL cards?

I ask because I've just been out to a client's premises to replace a hard
disk in their IPCop router which had died and brought down their net access
(and anything that relied on DHCP). This is going to happen more and more
with older hard disks (I tend to use the smallest HDDs I can get for these
routers, and most of the drives are a few years old now).

I would *much* rather deploy m0n0 firewalls to clients if it weren't for the
difficulties getting m0n0 working reliably with PPPoA devices. I think Peter
Curran submitted a patch for inclusion in a future release a few months ago
- does anyone know whether this patch has been included in recent betas? (I
know it isn't in b3, which is what I'm running at home)

In the longer term it would be brilliant if m0n0 could support a small base
of PCI ADSL cards (I use the Bewan PCI cards in IPCop boxes), since that
makes these firewalls a one-box affair rather than two separate units. I
could then comfortably deploy m0n0 for clients, and I'd be delighted to make
a financial contribution to the project.

Regards,

Chris
ICQ: 13350579   AIM: MinotaurUK   MSN: minotauruk at hotmail dot com   Y!:
Minotaur_Chris