[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <pmok at optushome dot com dot au>
 To:  <andy dash choi at uiowa dot edu>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Anyone using a VIA EPIA board
 Date:  Fri, 1 Apr 2005 03:33:44 +1000
I tested the EPIA PD10000 with m0n0wall.
(PD10000 is an updated version of the CL10000 but
capable of having up to 4 serial port connections...Uses
a revised edition of the 1Ghz "Nehemiah").

Its serious OVERKILL for just the router role. I like its
hardware accelerated encryption, but have yet to use it
in any practical manner. Is there a way for m0n0wall to
take advantage of it?

I find the onboard LAN connections are nowhere near as
efficient as Intel-based NICs. (Which is obvious, as they're
VIA Rhine II and III LAN controllers). You're better off
getting the regular EPIA with a quad port NIC PCI card.

Overall, not bad, but maybe overkill, depending on your
requirements. It has more grunt than a Geode-based setup,
but it ain't fanless (for 1Ghz models).

I really wished they used Intel LAN controllers!
Like the new EPIA DP (Dual CPU) model with an Intel Gigabit
LAN controller!
http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_dp_spec.jsp?motherboardId=321
( YUMMY! )